About Julie Mackey
Julie Mackey's yoga experience started after her athletic career and all she could think about 'what if the practice of yoga was introduced during that time?' The possibilities would have been limitless. Julie's belief that an athlete can only go as far as the mind can take him/herself and the mind of an athlete needs to be as strong as the physical self (body). Julie's teaching style, smile and optimistic energy radiates to her clients and empowers them to believe in themselves first. No challenge is too big and your mind and body need to work together to overcome the impossible. She instills that passion in every yoga class and that the challenges you face breathing on the mat parallel the obstacles you face off the mat in achieving your goals.
Julie is an experienced registered yoga teacher with an emphasis on respiration, anatomy, physiology, and movement science. She is a certified Functional Movement System Professional, a Certified Functional Strength Coach and the head Sports Mobility Coach for Hard Gainers Athletics. She is also a Yoga Alliance Continuing Education Provider (YACEP®). Julie created Flex Yoga, LLC, a full-service customized program for both competitive and recreational athletes. Julie graduated with a B.A. from Purdue University with many hours dedicated to cheering for Big10 sports. This experience led her to interact with the football, basketball (men's and women's) volleyball teams that really sparked her interest in all sports. Her passion for competition and team rivalry is a driving force for blending movement science and yoga to enhance breathing bio-mechanics, alignment for body awareness purpose, and mindset preparation in every one of her clients. Her enthusiasm and energetic coaching style is perfect for the athlete looking to complement not compromise their current training program. Julie works well with strength and conditioning coaches, athletic trainers, physical therapists and coaches to form a cohesive plan. Julie continues to pursue additional movement education and strength training to keep her skill set sharp and enjoys the challenge that power lifting and CrossFit offer. She is passionate about bringing yoga to the youth and volunteers regularly for community outreach programs.
Julie teaches yoga mobility and movement, and meditation classes for small groups, one-on-one sessions, athletic teams, workshops in the corporate and academic settings and one-on-one yoga sessions via Skype. Julie is also a presenter for yoga teacher trainings as well as a motivational speaker. If you're interested in scheduling her, send an email to email@example.com.
- Registered with Yoga Alliance RYT500 Oct 2017, E-RYT200 Jan 2012
- Mentorship with Dana Santas aka Mobility Maker - Sept 2015 to present
- PRI- Postural Restoration Concepts and Strength Development – Feb 2018
- FMS- Screening and Assessing Breathing: A multi-dimensional approach – Jan 2018
- FMS- Level 2, version 10 – Dec 2017
- 500hr Advanced Yoga Teacher Training Program at Prairie Yoga Institute- Sep 2017
- Resistance Stretching Workshop with Jules Mitchell and Charlie Reid – Mar 2017
- Art of Therapeutics with Linda Troutman – October 2016
- Yoga Alliance Education Provider – July 2016
- FMS- Level 1, online version 2 - July 2016
- Functional Training Summit – June 2016 Orlando, July 2017 Chicago
- Certified Functional Strength Coach – June 2016
- Knee Injury Protection Program Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago- Division of Orthopedic Surgery and Sports Medicine – May 2016
- Yoga for Healthy Aging with Baxter Bell, MD Feb 2016
- Unbreakable Body with Kate Galliet – Dec 2015
- Intensive Study with Ana Forrest, Forrest Yoga – Sep 2015
- Apprenticeship with Gabriel Halpern – July – Aug 2012
- Standard CPR/AED certified